Press Release 🌟🚀// Chalmers Ventures is increasing its pace of investment in 2023
Chalmers Ventures is increasing its pace of investment in 2023
Following a decision by the board of the Chalmer’s Foundation, it has now been made clear that Chalmers Ventures will be investing SEK 70 million in 2023.
– Chalmers Ventures invests in companies that solve major global problems. It is important that we and players like us continue to invest in companies whose ideas are based on research and technologically advanced innovation, says Sara Wallin, CEO of Chalmers Ventures.
It is the second time in a short period of time that Chalmers Ventures has increased its pace of investment. Thirty million was invested per annum from 2016 to 2021. In 2022, that sum was increased to SEK 50 million. Now an additional SEK 20 million is to be invested in 2023.
– Chalmers Ventures is stepping up during turbulent times in the world around us when access to capital is decreasing. We are a long-term investor, says Sara Wallin.
– The market and the availability of venture capital that can develop the companies is tougher, but we see that there is great interest in solutions that are “need to have”, as opposed to “nice to have”.
– In line with Chalmers’ new strategy and vision, our focus is now increasingly on both long-term investments and support for the utilisation of research, says Martin Nilsson Jacobi, CEO of the Chalmers Foundation.
– In this context, Chalmers Ventures is an important player, and we believe that the entire group benefits from this increased volume of investment.
Investment engine for Sweden focusing on deep tech
Chalmers Ventures’ strategy is to invest in companies with global sustainability and growth potential. The focus of the investments is in so-called deep tech companies, with business ideas based on advanced research and innovation.
Chalmers Ventures’ portfolio comprises approximately 100 companies. The return that the investments provide is put back into investments in new innovations, into which Chalmers Ventures enters at a very early stage and often puts together the founding team by matching researchers and ambitious entrepreneurs.
– Our so-called evergreen model makes us an investment engine for Sweden, says Sara Wallin. This makes us something of a unique deep tech factory, from which we take research out into the market where it is beneficial. The fact that we are now increasing our investments has therefore a very positive effect and makes us a strategic long-term partner for other impact investors.
Sara Wallin, CEO Chalmers Ventures, + 46 70-637 43 00